Wednesday, December 19, 2007

HOLD STEADY GOING BACK TO THE LAB

Whenever people talk about some new band that is “my new favorite band,” that “everyone” is excited about, I can’t help wondering if they’ll be around in a year. The whole blogging thing has accelerated everything: it’s more about finding the next new band first, and then being the first to declare them “over.” I’m not interested in that at all, as you may have figured out. But it is really exciting to hear a new artist or band who is great based on their own merits. In other words, an artist you can imagine loving five or ten years from now. To me, The Hold Steady is such a band.

They’re often compared to Bruce Springsteen and The Replacements, which I’m sure is fine with them. I heard a song of theirs “Your Little Hoodrat Friend,” from their last album, Separation Sunday, which I liked. Then I heard “Chips Ahoy” from their latest, last year’s Boys And Girls In America. It's just an incredible album.

So when I just read on their web site that they’re working on a new album, it gave me something to look forward to (music-wise) in 2008, other than Aimee Mann's upcoming album.

If you think that you don’t like “new” bands, check out The Hold Steady, you’ll thank me.


No comments: