Friday, April 11, 2008

THE RACONTEURS - NO SOPHOMORE SLUMP

By now, every magazine, website and blog has posted an opinion on The Raconteurs' new album, Consolers Of The Lonely.

Jack White's two bands have generally fared really well in the press, and I imagine that at least some writers have thier knives out, plus they are probably a bit sore about not getting advance copies because of the way the band surprised the industry by releasing it with a week's notice.

My take is that it's a great album. I loved their debut, and I don't know if it is better. I do know that none of the songs immeadiately grab you the way "Steady As She Goes" did. But I do know that "Top Yourself" and "Carolina Drama" are classics. But I don't know if the album is a classic yet. I am looking forward to spending more time with it though. Which I will be doing, because I have tickets to see them next month at Terminal 5.

No comments: