Wednesday, May 14, 2008

CSNY "DEJA VU" FILM TO HIT THEATERS THIS SUMMER

I'm looking forward to getting to see the Crosby Stills Nash & Young documentary Deja Vu, which screened at some film festivals this year. The film, about their 2006 tour in support of Neil Young's Living With War album, isn't just about the band on the road, but about how people reacted to Neil's message that the current administration, well, sucks, are incompetent and have sent lots of young men and women to their deaths without good cause. Etc.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Lion's Gate Films will release it in select cities in July, and it will also be available on demand and via streaming video, with a DVD to come out soon afterwards.
I was at one of the shows on the tour, and I was frankly surprised how divided the audiences were about Neil's new songs. It didn't surprise me when Springsteen or Mellencamp's fans are put off by their progressive lyrics, but with CSNY, I can't believe it would surprise anyone. Anyway, I am really looking forward to this film.
Hopefully Neil will allow the band to put out a CD to accompany the film. I have to say, when CSNY first reunited in 1999, I was skeptical of how good it would be, especially since the album wasn't great. But I've seen them a number of times since then, in 1999, 2001 and in 2006, and they were great and vital each time.

No comments: