Wednesday, May 14, 2008

NEIL DIAMOND HITS #1

I've never really been a big Neil Diamond fan, but I have to give him props on scoring his first ever #1 album with Home Before Dark. I'll also give Rick Rubin props, for making him seem cool (as opposed to kitchy). Neil Diamond hasn't really paid attention to any trends in the past, say, four decades - nor should he have. What he does is so mainstream, to pretend to be anything else would be kind of ridiculous.

One time I interviewed Robbie Robertson of The Band - a well known snob. I asked him who he thought should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame who hadn't gotten in and he didn't miss a beat before answering "Neil Diamond." Of course, Robbie forced the rest of The Band to back Diamond at The Last Waltz. But anyway, congratulations Neil.

No comments: