Tuesday, August 12, 2008

ISAAC HAYES, REST IN PEACE

You can read obits of Isaac Hayes all over the web. By now, everyone knows that he died from a stroke over the weekend.

Most people know about his late '60s/early '70s material -Hot Buttered Soul, Black Moses and the Shaft soundtrack. But before he went solo, he was one of Stax Records' best writer/producer/session musicians. Some of the songs he co-wrote include "Soul Man," "Hold On I'm Comin'" and "When Something Is Wrong With My Baby."

A few years ago, I interviewed him for some South Park thing he was promoting: maybe it was the new season. At the time, I was a bit annoyed that so many people knew him because of that show, rather than because of his catalog of incredible music. But then I realized, anything that brought people to the party is a good thing. He seemed to feel the same way. Anyway, I didn't care too much about South Park, so I asked a question or two about it and then cut right to the chase and started asking about Stax in the '60s. Seemingly surprised he asked me "How old are you?" Not old enough to remember that music, but I do have the Stax/Volt box set, and the music is incredible, it doesn't matter that I didn't live through it. That seemed to make him pretty happy.

Rest in peace, Mr. Isaac Hayes.

No comments: