Thursday, September 18, 2008

BELATED STEVE EARLE REVIEW

A couple of weeks ago, I saw Steve Earle at a lovely church in Monclair, New Jersey. It was very much like the show I saw about a year ago. Allison Moorer opened (unfortunately, I got out of work late and missed her set), Steve played solo acoustic, sometimes joined by a DJ and/or Allison. Great show: the man with just an acoustic guitar just has such power. There are very few artists who can do such a great show just playing solo acoustic: Bruce Springsteen (whose "State Trooper" Steve covered) and Neil Young maybe. Maybe Eddie Vedder. Hamell On Trial. Not many others though. 

That night, I saw Steve on Letterman: instead of plugging his own album, he did Warren Zevon's "Reconsider Me," which he'd covered for a tribute album a few years back.  It was the year anniversary of Warren's passing, and of course he was a friend of Letterman's. Pretty moving. But it also reminded me that seeing Steve fronting a band is great, too. I hope he returns to that at some point. 

No comments: