Sunday, September 21, 2008

OK, LIZ PHAIR, WE GET IT, THE MATRIX COLLAB WAS A MISTAKE

Liz Phair made a video where she asserts control over her creative direction from songwriting/producing team The Matrix. You can see it here: it's a bit goofy. I am a fan of Liz's, but I think she may be going a bit crazy.

While I'm on the topic of Ms. Phair, I'll mention that I picked up the Exile In Guyville re-release, and it sounds as good as ever. As an album, it is still a classic. The re-release isn't great if you have the original, though. The bonus tracks are really not great, and the DVD documentary is kind of dull. The idea that Liz shot and narrated it is great and makes sense. But, Liz, mic the people you're interviewing. I mean, I know everyone loves the lo-fi-ness of Exile, but come on.

But to end this post on a positive note, I'm looking forward to hearing her next album, which will be on Dave Matthews' ATO Records label, which has also released music from Gov't Mule, My Morning Jacket, Jem, David Gray and Patty Griffin.

No comments: