Wednesday, October 8, 2008

JOE HENRY TO TEAM WITH ALLEN TOUSSAINT AGAIN

Joe Henry is one of the best producers out there, but he
doesn't get a ton of press. He's produced really good or great albums in the past few years for Aimee Mann, Susan Tedeschi, Mary Gauthier, Betty Lavette and especially Solomon Burke. A couple of years ago, he produced a compilation called I Believe To My Soul, an album of New Orleans music (recorded before Katrina, by the way), which featured five great artists: Allen Toussaint, Mavis Staples, Billy Preston, Ann Peebles and Irma Thomas. About a year later, he worked with Mr. Toussaint again on the Elvis Costello/Allen Toussaint album The River In Reverse, which I see to Katrina as Bruce Springsteen's The Rising is to 9/11.

So, I was glad to read that Joe is producing a new solo album by Mr. Toussaint. The album is due out early next year.

By the way, I should mention that Joe Henry has made some pretty cool solo albums also, and he's a nice guy (I had the privilege to interview him a few years back).

No comments: