Tuesday, October 28, 2008

TOMORROW ON OUTQ: HAPPY HALLOWEEN

I know that there's more Christmas
albums than Halloween albums, but for my money, Halloween is the most rock and roll holiday there is.
So, tomorrow on OutQ, I'll be talking about two Halloween compilations that I really dig.
Little Steven just released Halloween A Go-Go, a collection of previously released songs that aren't necessarily about Halloween, but which sort of have an appropriate theme. Lots of songs I already knew (The Electric Prunes' "I Had Too Much To Dream," Howlin' Wolf's "Howlin' For My Darlin'," Roky Erickson's "I Walked With A Zombie") and great songs that I hadn't heard before (The Fuzztones' "I'm The Wolfman," Jarvis Humby's "Man With The X-Ray Eyes (Silver Surfer)," and Sweatmaster's "I Am A Demon And I Love Rock 'N Roll").
I also love Rob Zombie's 1998 collection Halloween Hootenanny. This featured a bunch of artists recording Halloween songs exclusively for the album. Although I'm more of a Little Steven guy, I like this compilation better (although I like both). Highlights include Rob's "Halloween (She Get So Mean)," The Reverend Horton Heat's "The Halloween Dance" and The Swingin' Neckbreakers' "No Costume, No Candy."
I'll also be talking about one of my favorite soundtracks ever - to one of my favorite films ever, The Nightmare Before Christmas. There's been a lot of covers from that soundtrack over the years, but none beat the originals from the soundtrack. Although I do like Fiona Apple's "Sally's Song." But I wouldn't play it at my Halloween party.

No comments: