Thursday, December 11, 2008

THIS WEEK ON OUTQ: CHRISTMAS ALBUMS

Being Jewish, I'm not a
huge Christmas guy. But there are some fun Christmas albums out there. On OutQ, I'll be talking about some of them.

Little Steven's Christmas A-G0-Go has some cool new seasonal songs by Underground Garage regulars including The Len Price 3, The Cocktail Slippers and The Boss Martians. There's also some classic stuff like Clarence Carter's "Back Door Santa," The Ramones' "Merry Christmas (I Don't Want To Fight)," The Kinks' "Father Christmas" and Keith Richards' "Run Rudolph Run."

We Wish You A Metal X-Mas features one-off metal supergroups doing Christmas songs. I wrote about this one back in August.

Stephen Colbert's A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift Of All! is pretty funny, and has some great contributions from John Legend, Willie Nelson, Elvis Costello and even Toby Keith. Plus a clasic duet with Jon Stewart, "Can I Interest You In Hanukkah?"

I'm also talking about The Reverend Horton Heat's 2005 album We Three Kings, which is one of the most rocking Christmas albums ever. And Phil Spector's 1963 Christmas album. Say what you want about him, but that's a pretty great album.

3 comments:

Betsy said...

Brian, I listen to you every week on my way to work on Larry's show and today you blew me away! At each stop light I hit, I wrote down every CD you played. I walked in to my office and immediately ordered all of them. Thanks so much for bringing great new and old music to the forefront and have a wonderful New Year!

B. Ives said...

Thank you Betsy that is really sweet and means a lot. But don't worry about stopping at a light to write anything down: I always post about what I'm going to talk about on OutQ the night before I go on. But thanks for your support and you have a wonderful new year as well!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you omitted "A Holiday Benefit" Volumes I & II from your Christmas Albums list. They're the modern, local "A Very Special Christmas!" :)