Tuesday, February 10, 2009

LEAVE COLDPLAY ALONE

I'm not the biggest Coldplay fan, but it's weird how many people hate on them. My friend and host of The Morning Jolt With Larry Flick show on SIRIUS XM OutQ -- Larry Flick -- hooked me up with their latest album, Viva La Vida and the follow-up EP, Prospekt's March. I think that they are both very good, and definitely as good as most of the stuff that the indie world goes nuts over (and then forgets about).

It is interesting that many of the same people fall over themselves praising Jay-Z, who joined Chris Martin onstage at the Grammys (it was pretty embarassing I thought) and who is just as mainstream, and way more pandering than Coldplay ever could be.

But I saw an interview with Chris Martin before the Grammys on 60 Minutes, and he's such a likable guy. During the interview, Chris Martin showed a list of Coldplay's rules for making an album, which I loved. And during the show, I loved that they apologized to Paul McCartney for nicking The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper" outfits. Finally, when the band played "Viva La Vida" thankfully without Jay-Z, Chris Martin threw in a bit of Bruce Springsteen's "Working on a Dream" (a very Bono move). Nicely done, boys.

No comments: