Wednesday, September 2, 2009

THE GRAMMY'S "AMERICANA" CATEGORY

The Grammys have added an Americana category this year. Which is
cool: most of my favorite records this year fall into that category: Bob Dylan's Together Through Life (my favorite album of the year), Levon Helm's Electric Dirt, Buddy & Julie Miller's Written In Chalk (which could have been called "Together Through Life" if Bob hadn't taken the title), Willie Nelson & Asleep At The Wheel's Willie & The Wheel and Elvis Costello's Sacred, Profane and Sugarcane. I might throw in Drive-By Truckers frontman Patterson Hood's solo album, Murdering Oscar. All of which you can hear on SIRIUS XM's excellent Outlaw Country channel!

2 comments:

Donna said...

Wow. There's going to be a category for everything now.

The album that I'm most looking forward to this year is Rosanne Cash's "The List," which features tunes from a long list of essential songs that her father assembled for her. Perhaps, this will fall under Americana as well. I believe Springsteen is going to be on one of the tracks, making for a rare collaboration of two of my favorite artists. Yippee.

Thanks for the great blog!

B. Ives said...

Hi, Donna, thanks so much for reading. I've been meaning to write about "The List." the first single, which in fact does feature Bruce, is already available on iTunes. It's "Sea Of Heartbreak." Bruce also duets with John Fogerty on a cover of The Everly Brothers' "When Will I Be Loved" from John's brand new "The Blue Ridge Rangers Ride Again" album.