Thursday, September 24, 2009

U2 / MUSE AT GIANTS STADIUM

U2 was great. Despite having an album that hasn’t seemed to “take” with the public the way All The You Can’t Leave Behind or even How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb did, they proved to be one of the few bands worthy of playing stadiums – and playing recent material in them. Songs like “Vergtigo,” “Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of,” “Elevation” and “Beautiful Day” are now classics just like “Sunday Bloody Sunday,” “New Year’s Day” and “Where The Streets Have No Name” (all of which they played as well). It was the first U2 show ever that I’ve been to where they didn’t play “Pride (In The Name Of Love)” and the first in years where they didn’t play “Bullet The Blue Sky” and “I Will Follow.” They brought back some older classics – “With Or Without You,” “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For,” “Walk On” and “Mysterious Ways” and even did two songs out of left field: “The Unforgettable Fire” (which didn’t really do the song justice, I’m sorry to say) and the song from their Passengers side project, “Your Blue Room,” which was amazing. “Mysterious Ways” was the best version that I ever heard of that song. “Get On Your Boots” and “No Line On The Horizon” were better live than the studio versions. They did a fun “dance remix” version of “I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight.” Another big highlight was their cover of Bruce Springsteen’s “She’s The One” which went into their own “Desire” – in honor of Bruce’s 60th birthday. I am too tired to write much now, but it was a great show, and I definitely want to see them next year when they return to the U.S.

Muse was also incredible: I’ve seen some great bands open for U2 in the past, including Primus and PJ Harvey. Muse were as good – but seemed more ready to do their own stadium (or at least arena) shows.

A final note: the NJ Transit system made me embarrassed to be from our great state. I took the shuttle from NYC to the stadium – it took me 2 hours and 15 minutes, and I missed the beginning of Muse’s set. And I heard taking the train back was even worse. Everyone involved in convincing people to take the train should be ashamed of themselves. Of course, the alternative was driving, and it costs $25 to park. I heard a rumor that it will be $40 for Bruce Springsteen’s concerts.

No comments: