Tuesday, November 3, 2009

TOMORROW ON OUTQ: P!NK, TINA, THE STONES, U2, R.E.M.

Tomorrow on OutQ, I'll be talking about some great reissues and live albums and reissues of live albums and reissues with live tracks. It's that time of year! These are great gift ideas! (for those of you who are new to No Expiration, I do a weekly music news report on Larry Flick's show on the SIRIUSXM channel OutQ every Wednesday morning, as well as occasionally on The Catholic Channel's Busted Halo Show on Thursday nights).


P!nk has a new live album, Funhouse Tour: Live In Australia. It's actually a DVD that comes with a CD I think (I just downloaded a few songs on iTunes). I like P!nk a lot: I interviewed her, and I thought she was really cool. She told me her first two albums were by Mary J. Blige and Bad Religion, and that about tells the story. She's a rocker at heart, and proves it on a pretty powerful cover of Led Zeppelin 's "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You." I think this may have been recorded around the time that she was splitting with her husband (I think they're back together). It's pretty powerful. I know the OutQ audience digs P!nk, and I get it.

Tina Turner also has a live album out, Tina Live. The woman is seventy - seventy! - and still rocks! That said, I don't really like this album, it's a bit smooth and Vegasy, but I don't want to say much more than that. I feel douchey even getting into those kind of criticisms, Tina can do what she wants. I will say that that sound totally works on "Private Dancer."

I much prefer Tina's performance with Ike & Tina Turner that is included on this deluxe reissue of The Rolling Stones ' Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out. Ya-Ya's is a live album recorded on the 1969 Stones tour - this reissue includes some extra tracks, as well as the opening sets by Ike & Tina Turner and B.B. King. Back then Tina was badass, but I'm glad that she has a much better life now. The Stones were maybe at the peak of their game - Mick Taylor was in the band at that point, they were just awesome. And B.B. also kills it. This is a great example of an awesome reissue - something the Stones have really never done. Their reissues tend to have no extras at all.

I've already written about R.E.M.'s Live At The Olympia In Dublin 39 Songs. It features the band trying out songs from last year's Accelerate, which was one of my favorite albums of the year, and the only album I like by R.E.M. since Bill Berry left. They also played lots of classics, and the deluxe version comes with a DVD documenting the five night stand when this was recorded, during a break in the Accelerate sessions. The album also features notes on all the songs by Peter Buck.

Finally, U2's deluxe reissue of 1985's Unforgettable Fire. It includes a bunch of b-sides and outtakes, as well as the 1985 EP Wide Awake In America. There's also "Disappearing Act," a song that they started during the sessions for the album. and only recently finished this year. It also has a DVD that contains a documentary, the music videos from the album, footage from an Amnesty International concert, and their set from Live Aid.I don't know if I'll get to all of this tomorrow, but I hope I do! It's all good stuff that you need to know about.

No comments: