Thursday, February 11, 2010

OTIS REDDING COMING TO GUITAR HERO

I am a huge Otis Redding fan. I change my mind on these things, but I often feel that he is the greatest R&B or rock and roll singer of all time. I do worry a bit that people may not remember him as much as they should. He isn't marketed as aggressively as some other great artists who are no longer with us.  Is "worry" really the right word? Is this a cause for me to worry?  Yes, because I love music. If people aren't still listening to Otis' music... that's such a sad thing. The more influencial he is, the better music is. Not that anyone can duplicate what he did (and many of my favorites, including Bruce Springsteen, have certainly given it a go), but if his vocal and performance style is what you are shooting for, you are at least shooting in the right direction. So I'm really glad to hear (via Rolling Stone) that some of his songs are going to be available on Rock Band. I don't know how *I* would feel about desecrating "Fa Fa Fa Fa Fa (Sad Song)," "I'm Sick Y'all," "I've Got Dreams To Remember" and "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay," but I'm glad that people will have the chance to.  Hopefully it will lead them to picking up some of Otis' own music.

No comments: