Wednesday, September 22, 2010

TOMORROW ON OUTQ: NEW ALBUMS BY ROBERT PLANT, JAMEY JOHNSON AND MORE

For those of you who are new to No Expiration, every Wednesday morning at about 9 am ET(ish), I can be heard on the SIRIUS XM OutQ channel show The Morning Jolt with Larry Flick, co-hosted by comedian Keith Price. Every week I go on the show and talk about music, and this week I have some great records to discuss.

First off is the new Robert Plant album, Band Of Joy. I recently saw Robert Plant with his new group (also called Band Of Joy, featuring Buddy Miller and Patty Griffin) and was blown away. The album, which is sort of a continuation of his Alison Krauss collab Raising Sand... only without Alison and without producer T-Bone Burnett. And it is a little more rocking. I love the album, I don't know if I love it as much as Raising Sand yet.

Jamey Johnson is one of the best country artists out there today. It's too easy to say he's more "authentic" (or something) than the big Nashville stars. He gets played on many of the same stations, and the first single from his double(!) album, The Guitar Song, "Macon," features members of Little Big Town. Still, dude is a badass, and this is a great album, although it's a lot of sad songs.

Richard Thompson is a great artist who I should write about more. His music is more like wine than beer, if you know what I mean. At first it may taste weird, but after a while, you grow to love it. There's a reason why so many people cover him - Los Lobos, X, Bonnie Raitt, The Neville Brothers and even Robert Plant on his new album. Thompson's new album Dream Attic was recorded live in concert, but it's all new songs. He's a great songwriter and a great guitarist (although he probably cringes at the term "guitar hero") and this album shows that off. "A Brother Slips Away" is just so sad and will probably be used at funerals of NPR listeners for decades to come. I don't even mean that as a joke, it's just that not many people know who Richard Thompson is!

JP, Chrissie & The Fairground Boys is Chrissie Hynde's first non-Pretenders band. She's a company woman, so to speak, but she's taken a holiday from the day job to work with a younger dude who compliments her quite well. I dig the album.

Finally, I gotta represent for the Jeerz. Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes have a new album, Pills and Ammo. Southside is really underrated, (I guess being the *second* biggest artist from the '70s Asbury Park scene is a tough burden) but he is a great singer. "Lead Me On" is one of the best songs I've heard this year. Someone who is more marketable could have a big hit with this one. Of course, *you* don't need to be marketed to, that's why you're here. Check the song out on iTunes, and maybe pick up the whole album!

No comments: