Monday, August 8, 2011

EDDIE VEDDER - UKULELE SONGS

I've had some time to digest Eddie Vedder's latest solo album, Ukulele Songs. I really dig it.  Is it a classic?  I don't know - I need some more time on that one.  But I have to say, I didn't know if his first record, the Into The Wild soundtrack was a classic when it first came out. When he played those songs in concert, though, some of them held up to some of the Pearl Jam classics that he performed.

Of course, the singer of an incredibly successful rock band doing an album of songs written and performed on the uke could be seen as a bit indulgent.  I get that, but Eddie has earned the right to do whatever he wants.  For me, the real deal is, are the songs good?  They are.  And does it seem different from his day job?  Definitely. I think it's a really good album that makes a great argument that Eddie Vedder has a legitimate solo career that can run parallel to Pearl Jam (and long may they run).

1 comment:

Will said...

I have mixed feelings on this album, but my friend who is not a big Pearl Jam fan heard this and bought his own copy. I have liked Into the World more and more as time has gone by, so maybe this will be the same.